Portland’s largest park comprises more than 5,000 acres, mostly steep and wooded terrain in the city’s West Hills. Landscape architect John L. Olmsted proposed the park as part of his 1903 citywide plan for Portland. Other authors of comprehensive city plans agreed, but Portlanders took several decades to get behind the idea. In 1945, the Portland City Club and the Mazamas (a local mountaineering club) called for a Committee of Fifty, mostly made up of representatives of civic organizations, to advocate for the park. Forest Park was formally established by the city in September 1948.
Physical copies of many items in this collection are held by Multnomah County Library. However, the library does not hold the copyright to these items. Copyright usually resides with the creator(s) of the items. Any information about copyright for items in this collection will be noted in the metadata and Rights & Usage field for each item.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. It is the responsibility of any users of this digital collection to determine whether their intended use of an item is acceptable under copyright law.
If you are a copyright holder for an item on this website that is not properly identified, please contact us. When contacting us about an item in this collection, please include the identifier for the item (e.g., XXmap_000041).