Looking east across the unoccupied Reference Room located on the second floor of the Stark Street Library. This long room with a vaulted ceiling originally housed the Portland Art Museum before the museum relocated in 1905. A Greek frieze, a replica of frieze at the Parthenon which was left behind by the museum, is mounted high on the wall, partially encircling the room. The frieze was moved to the Central library when it opened in 1913 and survived in part until the mid 1990s. Iron bookshelves lined with books stand at right angles to the interior wall, while reading tables with lamps occupy the opposite side of the long room, closer to the windows. A four-armed light fixture is suspended from the ceiling. Transcribed from back of photo: 'Reference Room'.
Collections with this item
- 4.75x3.75 inches
Rights & Usage
No known rights (no copyright or related rights are known to exist for this work).