Officers of Vancouver Avenue Baptist Church


This photograph of the church board features (left to right) Deacon C.C. McCorvey, Deacon Trevol V. Mason, Willie Abel, Deacon U.P. Canno, Deacon Basel Mason, Deacon John Sylvester, Reverend Roosevelt Rogers; seated is Reverend O.B. Williams. The group is pictured next to their building at 1914 N. Vancouver in 1947 (subsequently this property was razed for the construction of I-5). Started as the First Baptist Church of Burton Homes in 1944 Vancouver, Washington the church moved twice after V-Day with the closing of the eponymous Burton Homes and Bagley Downs housing projects, prompting a move to segregated Portland’s burgeoning Black enclave in the Albina neighborhood in 1946. After briefly occupying the Prince’s Hall Masonic Temple at 116 NE Russell, the congregation purchased the building in this image in 1947 and began holding services there after three months of extensive rehabilitation work. It was at this location the congregation took its current name Vancouver Avenue First Baptist Church. As more African Americans were forced to settle in Albina the congregation relocated to a more spacious church at N. Vancouver and Fargo where they continue worship.

Collections with this item



Rights & Usage

In copyright. Used by permission of the copyright holder, who retains publication rights thereto. Use of resources from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. The Oregon Historical Society is the owner of the materials in the Research Library and makes available reproductions for research, publication, and other uses. Written permission must be obtained from the Research Library before any reproduction use. The Society does not necessarily hold copyright to all of the materials in the collections. In some cases, permission for use may require seeking additional authorization from the copyright owners. Photographs Dept., Oregon Historical Society


  • PUpic_001383



File format


  • Coll 189 Vancouver Baptist\Box 1 f10

Add new comment

You must have Javascript enabled to use this form.