The photograph, taken in April, 1975 shows the cupola from the Hill Block Building hanging over the sidewalk as it was being removed. The building was constructed by the first mayor of Albina, Charles Hill, in 1910. It remained the center of Lower Albina's business district at the Northwest corner of N. Williams and Russell until April 1975, shortly before it was demolished as part of a plan to expand Emanuel Hospital. Federal funds for the expansion fell short and that parcel of land remains vacant to this day. The cupola was relocated to Dawson Park, a few blocks to the north, and currently sits atop a gazebo. Visit City of Portland Archives for more http://efiles.portlandoregon.gov/record/11025086
Collections with this item
Rights & Usage
In copyright. Used by permission of the copyright holder, who retains publication rights thereto. Use of resources from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Check with the City of Portland Archives for permission.