Many men, most in hats, are seen reading on benches and perusing the materials displayed atop collapsible tables at the Umbrella Branch. The Umbrella Branch was located in Lownsdale Square at SW Fourth Avenue and Main Street. An outdoor reading and circulating library, the Umbrella Branch was started in 1937 and provided service in the summer months (typically July and August) through at least 1941. Lownsdale Square was to be a gentleman's gathering place. Chapman Square, the neighboring outdoor assembly area seen in the background, was designated during this time exclusively for women and children. Today men and women coexist in either square. Transcribed from back of photo: 'Umbrella library late 1930's'.
Collections with this item
- 10x8 inches
Rights & Usage
In copyright. Image courtesy of Oregon Historical Society, which retains publication rights thereto. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Contact the copyright holder for permission.