Over a dozen readers are seated on outdoor benches at the library's Umbrella Branch, located in Lownsdale Square at SW 4th Avenue and Main Street. A large striped umbrella provides shade for some. The 4th Avenue entrance to the Multnomah County Courthouse can be seen in the background. An outdoor reading and circulating library, the Umbrella Branch was started in 1937 and provided service in the summer months (typically July and August) through at least 1941. Transcribed from back of photo: 'Umbrella Branch August, 1939.' Transcribed from front of photo: 'National Youth Administration Photo Portland, Oregon'.
Collections with this item
- 8x10 inches
Rights & Usage
No known rights (no copyright or related rights are known to exist for this work).