A man in overalls stands in front of a display table that is outside the library's Umbrella Branch, located in Lownsdale Square at SW 4th Avenue and Main Street. An outdoor reading and circulating library, the Umbrella Branch was started in 1937 and provided service in the summer months (typically July and August) through at least 1941. Folding cabinets full of books sit atop the table, with other literature displayed in front of the cabinets. On the left side of the table there is a sign that reads: 'Every occupation needs the worker who is well informed. Through the Multnomah County Library Service you can borrow from the special departments of the Public Library. Books on every subject. Engineering, Radio, Home Building, Salesmanship, Poultry Raising, Automobile Repair. Knowledge is Power.' Transcribed from back of photo: 'Umbrella library late 1930's'.
Collections with this item
- 10x8 inches
Rights & Usage
In copyright. Image courtesy of the copyright holder, who retains publication rights thereto. Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law.