Three men in aprons are working in the bindery operation at Central Library, which was located on the first floor at the rear (11th Avenue side) of the building. Stacks of books are piled on a work table.The man on the left is using a glue brush to apply glue to a book. In the background there is a large nipping press, which would have been used to apply pressure to a book during the binding process. The man in the middle of the photo is probably William Klar, who worked in the bindery operation for 38 years before retiring in 1954. In 1954 the book and periodical bindery was transferred from Central Library to the new Extension Center, located in the original Albina Branch. Transcribed from back of photo: '1949.'
Collections with this item
- 10x8 inches
Rights & Usage
In copyright. Copyright owner unlocatable or unidentifiable.