Fourth and Fifth-grade students of Mrs. Ruth Moyer at Holladay school find that knitting not only occupies spare hand-twiddling periods but puts a little spending money into pockets and a rash of berets on their heads. Standing from left, Charles Patterson, Jerry Gibbs, and Silas Williams. Seated are Florence Lindley and Harriet Whitlow. Kids think it fun. Holladay school was located on NE 9th and Halsey, where the Lloyd Center now stands. The caption is taken from the Oregon Journal; the photo was taken on May 24, 1949. Learn more about the Lloyd Center and the post-war building boom from the Oregon History Project https://oregonhistoryproject.org/narratives/wooden-beams-and-railroad-ties-the-history-of-oregons-built-environment/international-northwest-and-cryptic-styles/post-war-population-and-the-building-boom/#.WvNeR6QvxaQ
Rights & Usage
In copyright. Used by permission of the copyright holder, who retains publication rights thereto. Use of resources from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Copyright held by the Oregonian Publishing Group. This image may not be reproduced without prior approval. Please contact the Oregon Historical Society Research Library for additional information on usage.
May 24, 1949
- OrHi 90994; Oregon Journal Photographs Collection; Org. Lot 1027; Photo file 113-A;